Sunday, 14 April 2024 04:46

Five members of one family killed as 10 die in fresh Plateau attack

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Not fewer than 10 persons have been killed in an attack in Mandung-Mushu and Kopnanle villages of Bokkos Local Government Area of Plateau State.

The attack began at about 10pm on Friday after the villagers had retired for the day.

It lasted for about two hours. A source told our correspondent that the attack has created tension in Bokkos town and environs as some of the victims and those with gunshots wounds were brought to Cottage Hospital in the town.

The source said five members of one family were killed in the attack, adding that similar attack last week led to the death of his brother’s pregnant wife.

In a statement, Bokkos Cultural Development Council (BCDC) Vanguard condemned the attack, saying the attackers targeted innocent, unarmed, and peaceful residents as they slept.

The statement signed by Chairman of BCDC Vanguard, Farmasum Fuddang, said the unfortunate incident happened despite security presence nearby.

“This brazen attack, which predominantly targeted children, appears to be part of a calculated effort to instill fear and perpetrate further displacement within our communities.”

“Just hours before this tragedy unfolded, BCDC Vanguard submitted a petition to the Department of State Services (DSS), challenging a leaked memo that falsely accused our people of planning violence against Fulani residents. We unequivocally stated that the intelligence behind the memo was fabricated and defamatory.

“Despite our efforts to rectify these falsehoods, the security apparatus failed to protect our community from the very threats we highlighted. The timing of this attack, following closely on the heels of the DSS’s erroneous warning of an impending assault on Fulani communities, raises serious concerns about collusion or deliberate neglect.

“Should the authorities fail to provide satisfactory explanations within the shortest possible time, we are prepared to pursue legal recourse. Enough is enough—we will not allow our people to be targeted and vilified while those responsible for our safety turn a blind eye,” the statement read.

Confirming the attack, Plateau State Governor, Caleb Mutfwang, described it as unfortunate and unacceptable.

The governor in a statement by his Director of Press and Public Affairs, Gyang Bere, said the needless occurrence also happened at a time the government was facilitating the return of displaced persons to their homes, and warned perpetrators of these dastardly acts to desist forthwith.

 

Daily Trust

April 03, 2025

Oil prices sink after Trump announced sweeping new tariffs

Oil prices dropped $2 on Thursday after U.S. President Donald Trump announced reciprocal tariffs on…
April 02, 2025

Natasha outsmarts Kogi govt, Police; ‘drops’ from sky to jubilant crowds

In a spectacular display of defiance, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan turned the Kogi State Government and…
March 30, 2025

Does wearing a cap make you go bald? Here’s what dermatologists want you to know about hair loss

Hair loss can be an upsetting and worrisome experience. But with a slew of wellness…
March 30, 2025

Two 'proof of heaven' stories and one 'proof of hell' that had atheist calling out…

Ole Braatelien What happens to our consciousness the moment we die? Christians believe our souls…
April 02, 2025

Ponzi schemes: New law slams 10-year jail term, N40m fine - SEC

Nigeria’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has finally declared war on Ponzi schemes, with a…
April 03, 2025

What to know after Day 1134 of Russia-Ukraine war

WESTERN PERSPECTIVE Putin conscripts 160K men as Russia eyes Ukraine offensive Russia has initiated its…
March 28, 2025

Bill Gates: Within 10 years, AI will replace many doctors and teachers—humans won’t be needed…

Tom Huddleston Jr. Over the next decade, advances in artificial intelligence will mean that humans…
January 08, 2025

NFF appoints new Super Eagles head coach

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has appointed Éric Sékou Chelle as the new Head Coach…

NEWSSCROLL TEAM: 'Sina Kawonise: Publisher/Editor-in-Chief; Afolabi Ajibola: IT Manager;
Contact Us: [email protected] Tel/WhatsApp: +234 811 395 4049

Copyright © 2015 - 2025 NewsScroll. All rights reserved.