Sunday, 12 January 2025 04:46

What to know after Day 1053 of Russia-Ukraine war

Rate this item
(0 votes)

RUSSIAN PERSPECTIVE

Putin honors soldier from viral Ukraine knife fight

President Vladimir Putian has awarded the title ‘Hero of Russia’ to a soldier who defeated a Ukrainian service member in a brutal knife fight that went viral online. 

Andrey Grigoryev was decorated for “bravery and heroism” in combat, according to the presidential decree published on Saturday.

A corporal with the 39th Motorized Rifle Brigade, Grigoryev overpowered a Ukrainian soldier during a battle near the village of Trudovoye in Russia’s Donetsk People’s Republic.

Although the incident took place in the fall of 2024, the dramatic bodycam footage of the hand-to-hand combat was only recently posted to social media.

Although the opponent was physically stronger and had managed to wound Grigoryev, the Russian soldier kept on fighting.

“It was clear to me that I was not going to surrender, that I would take at least one person to the grave [before dying myself]. This motivation helped me a lot to concentrate,”Grigoryev told RT earlier this month. 

Grigoryev was born in Russia’s Siberian Sakha Republic and worked as a driver and a mechanic before enlisting in the army in April 2024. He is married with five children. 

Sakha Governor Aysen Nikolayev met with Grigoryev on Saturday and gave him a new knife as a gift. “After that fight, Andrey had spent several days behind enemy lines. They neutralized several enemy soldiers, armored vehicles, and blew up an ammunition depot,”Nikolayev said.

 

WESTERN PERSPECTIVE

Ukraine captures two North Korean soldiers in Kursk, Zelenskiy says

Ukraine has captured two North Korean soldiers in Russia's Kursk region, President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said on Saturday, the first time Ukraine has announced the capture of North Korean soldiers alive since their entry into the war last autumn.

North Korean regular troops entered the war on Russia's side in October, according to Kyiv and its western allies, who initially estimated their numbers at 10,000 or more.

In a post on X, Zelenskiy said that the soldiers had been brought to Kyiv and were communicating with the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU), the country's domestic intelligence agency.

"As with all prisoners of war, these two North Korean soldiers are receiving the necessary medical assistance," Zelenskiy said. He said that journalists would be given access to speak to them.

Kyiv says that North Korean troops are fighting in the Kursk region, where Ukraine launched an incursion in August. Kyiv says it still controls several hundred square kilometres of territory there.

Pyongyang has also been supplying Russia with vast quantities of artillery shells, according to Kyiv and its western allies.

Russia has neither confirmed nor denied the presence of North Korean troops in Kursk, and there was no immediate reaction from Moscow or Pyongyang to the latest report.

Ukraine had previously said it captured North Korean soldiers in combat, but that they had been badly wounded and died shortly afterwards.

SPECIAL FORCES OPERATION

Zelenskiy said in a later video address that the troops had been captured by Ukraine's special forces working alongside paratroopers.

The special forces posted a video filmed from a drone claiming to show part of the operation. It showed five men in ghillie suits in a forested area, although other details were hard to make out.

A video posted by the SBU appeared to show the two captured men. One had his jaw bandaged due to an apparent wound, while the other was drinking through a straw.

A doctor interviewed for the SBU’s video, who was not named and had his face blurred, said one of the soldiers had a facial wound and would be treated by a dentist, while the other soldier had an open wound and a lower leg fracture.

The SBU said the North Koreans had been transferred to Kyiv for questioning, and that because they could not speak Ukrainian, Russian or English, their questioning was being done in Korean with the help of South Korea's NIS intelligence agency.

The SBU said one of the soldiers had been captured with a Russian military document with the name of another person registered in Russia, while the other did not have any documents.

The agency said the soldiers had been born in 2005 and 1999, and had been serving in the North Korean armed forces since 2021 and 2016 respectively.

The SBU said the two prisoners were being held in conditions that were in accordance with international law, and that a criminal investigation was being conducted to see if the men broke Ukraine's law against planning or conducting a war.

 

RT/Reuters

April 03, 2025

Oil prices sink after Trump announced sweeping new tariffs

Oil prices dropped $2 on Thursday after U.S. President Donald Trump announced reciprocal tariffs on…
April 02, 2025

Natasha outsmarts Kogi govt, Police; ‘drops’ from sky to jubilant crowds

In a spectacular display of defiance, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan turned the Kogi State Government and…
March 30, 2025

Does wearing a cap make you go bald? Here’s what dermatologists want you to know about hair loss

Hair loss can be an upsetting and worrisome experience. But with a slew of wellness…
March 30, 2025

Two 'proof of heaven' stories and one 'proof of hell' that had atheist calling out…

Ole Braatelien What happens to our consciousness the moment we die? Christians believe our souls…
April 02, 2025

Ponzi schemes: New law slams 10-year jail term, N40m fine - SEC

Nigeria’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has finally declared war on Ponzi schemes, with a…
April 03, 2025

What to know after Day 1134 of Russia-Ukraine war

WESTERN PERSPECTIVE Putin conscripts 160K men as Russia eyes Ukraine offensive Russia has initiated its…
March 28, 2025

Bill Gates: Within 10 years, AI will replace many doctors and teachers—humans won’t be needed…

Tom Huddleston Jr. Over the next decade, advances in artificial intelligence will mean that humans…
January 08, 2025

NFF appoints new Super Eagles head coach

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has appointed Éric Sékou Chelle as the new Head Coach…

NEWSSCROLL TEAM: 'Sina Kawonise: Publisher/Editor-in-Chief; Afolabi Ajibola: IT Manager;
Contact Us: [email protected] Tel/WhatsApp: +234 811 395 4049

Copyright © 2015 - 2025 NewsScroll. All rights reserved.