Tuesday, 24 November 2020 05:41

Suspension of African football boss opens field for new faces

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Suspension of Confederation of African Football chief Ahmad Ahmad on Monday has thrown wide open the future leadership of the regional soccer governing body, with his ban from the game coming just months before CAF’s presidential elections.

Ahmad had already been endorsed by 46 of the continent’s 54 football associations and looked certain to be re-elected in March 2021 but the five-year ban, announced by FIFA’s Ethics Committee, means there will now be a scramble for power.

FIFA said in a statement that Ahmad was found guilty by the independent committee of offering and accepting gifts and other benefits, and misappropriation of funds.]

Ahmad’s suspension arrived more than a year after the world governing body opened investigations into allegations against the 60-year-old former fisheries minister from Madagascar.

Ahmad, who denied any wrongdoing, declined to comment when contacted by Reuters.

The ban comes after last week’s closing date for nominations for the CAF presidency and leaves the field devoid of any of Ahmad’s loyalists.

Instead, the new head of African football will come from a field made up of a former candidate for the job, two association presidents and one of the continent’s richest men.

Jacques Anouma, 68, of the Ivory Coast previously attempted to run for the CAF presidency but was stymied when the incumbent Issa Hayatou had the rules changed to make only CAF executive committee members eligible to stand. Anouma was at the time an executive committee member with FIFA but not CAF.

He has been out of football administration for the past five years and the rule that halted his ambition has been removed.

Augustin Senghor, 56, from Senegal and 44-year-old Ahmad Yahya of Mauritania serve as their country’s football federation presidents and were among those declaring support for Ahmad before his impending suspension saw them enter the race.

The 58-year-old South African billionaire Patrice Motsepe was a surprise candidate named earlier this month and has the support of Nigeria as well as his home country.

He is proposed as a candidate whose business acumen and commercial contacts will open revenue opportunities for CAF, which has no television or marketing contract after last year cancelling a long-term deal with French company Lagadere Sports.

CAF on Monday named first vice president Constant Omari Selemani of the Democratic Republic of Congo as its acting president in a brief statement after Ahmad’s suspension.

It said: “The Confederation Africaine de Football, which is concerned about the reputational consequences of this long procedure, maintains the schedule of all its activities and programs.”

 

Reuters

April 04, 2025

Oil set for worst week in months over Trump's new tariffs

Oil prices fell further in early Asian trade on Friday, and were on track for…
April 02, 2025

Natasha outsmarts Kogi govt, Police; ‘drops’ from sky to jubilant crowds

In a spectacular display of defiance, Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan turned the Kogi State Government and…
April 04, 2025

Flight attendants say you should never order these 5 items on a plane

Amanda Mactas Surely you are no stranger to a fashion faux pas, but when it…
March 30, 2025

Two 'proof of heaven' stories and one 'proof of hell' that had atheist calling out…

Ole Braatelien What happens to our consciousness the moment we die? Christians believe our souls…
April 02, 2025

Ponzi schemes: New law slams 10-year jail term, N40m fine - SEC

Nigeria’s Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has finally declared war on Ponzi schemes, with a…
April 04, 2025

What to know after Day 1135 of Russia-Ukraine war

RUSSIAN PERSPECTIVE Significant progress made on Ukraine ceasefire – Putin aide The US-brokered energy truce…
March 28, 2025

Bill Gates: Within 10 years, AI will replace many doctors and teachers—humans won’t be needed…

Tom Huddleston Jr. Over the next decade, advances in artificial intelligence will mean that humans…
January 08, 2025

NFF appoints new Super Eagles head coach

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has appointed Éric Sékou Chelle as the new Head Coach…

NEWSSCROLL TEAM: 'Sina Kawonise: Publisher/Editor-in-Chief; Afolabi Ajibola: IT Manager;
Contact Us: [email protected] Tel/WhatsApp: +234 811 395 4049

Copyright © 2015 - 2025 NewsScroll. All rights reserved.